Monday, June 13, 2011

Shane Jones

Last week I picked up Craig Segilman's Sontag & Kael: Opposites Attract Me at a charity used book sale. Based on the first 20 pages, I recommend it.

Among other things, I learned Sontag began her career aggressively against those things she disagreed with, and then later focused her energies praising those things she liked.

This post is of the latter variety. It's not criticism; it's merely praise.

I first became aware of Shane Jones when I published a short story of his in The Danforth Review. It did it twice: Celebrity Furniture (2006) and Figure Four Leg Lock (2004).

Now the dude has a Wikipedia page and a film deal.

More significantly, though, he's produced a good novel: Light Boxes (Penguin, 2010). I was in my neighbourhood bookstore and saw it on the shelf. A very pleasant discovery.

I'm not going to say much about it, just point to an excellent review here. Or here.

Congratulations, Shane!

No comments: